Friday, January 1, 2010

Her Fearful Symmetry

One of the things I enjoy is reading. When I was young I was a real bookworm and was always bugging my parents to buy me the latest Sweet Valley book. ( That was the craze back then). As I grew older I had less and less time to read. Now that I'm under house arrest I'm taking the opportunity to catch up on my old hobby.

The latest book I have completed is Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffeneger who also wrote The Time Traveler's Wife which has been made into a movie.

The book tells the story of a pair of identical mirror twins from the US, Julia and Valentina, whose aunt, Elspeth (one that they have never met) just passed away and left all her money and her apartment in London to them. The apartment is next to Highgate Cemetry, a famous cemetry in London. Their neighbors include Martin, who has severe OCD which triggers the wife to leave him and Robert, Elspeth's partner who volunteers at the cemetry and is writing a thesis on it.

Elspeth's spirit still lives on after her death and the twins and Robert communicate with her and find out what happened between Elspeth and their mother, Elizabeth. (they're also identical twins BTW). I really like how Audrey unfolds the story and the twist at the end. It's not a romantic book like The Time Traveler's Wife but a really complex and interesting tale. So if you're looking for a quirky read, go and get this book!

Oh and I love the title...If you pronounce symmetry in a posh British accent it'll sound like cemetry. Cool pun eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment